Thursday, June 04, 2009

FORT STEILACOOM DISC GOLF COURSE


My eleventh disc golf disc—a Latitude 64º Mirus distance driver disc. Opaque white with gold foil stamp, 169 grams.


(1) The child and I headed out to Fort Steilacoom Disc Golf Course, just south of Tacoma (in Lakewood). I was hesitant to visit it because I had been told that it was difficult to navigate the courses due to inadequate signage and poor layout. In other words, I was expecting a repeat of my experience at Riverside DGC in Sumner. Nothing could be further from the truth. Fort Steilacoom is a beautiful course with varied terrain. You may have some difficulty if you don't take a map along, but there will always be a nearby tee and/or basket to throw from/at.


(2) We played the back nine holes of the Northwest (Pink) Course. The child threw the Skeeter midrange about, while Troy's Work Table tried out his new Mirus driver and really worked in the Buzzz midrange and Sinus SP putter. Hole #10 was a spectacular opportunity to throw down an incline into a grove of fir trees.


(3) Hole #11 was a monster hole for me. I wasn't sure I would be able to handle a 500-foot-long fairway, but I somehow managed to play this hole in five shots. I considered that pretty good since I don't have a lot of arm strength to throw the big bombs.


(4) I was very happy with my performance on hole #13. I drove well through the stand of oak trees, approached the base of the basket with the Buzzz (pictured above), and laid in the easy putt.


(5) This is the view of hole #18 when throwing my second shot—through the fir branches I am standing within and around the madrona tree that hides the basket.

---

I played a 35 from back nine of the Northwest Course. I'm happy with that score for my first play on these holes.

Hole 10 - 3
Hole 11 - 5
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 3
Hole 14 - 5
Hole 15 - 4
Hole 16 - 4
Hole 17 - 3
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 35 (+8)

---

I really like the grippiness of Latitude 64º's Gripline plastic in the Mirus. It feels very similar to Innova's Star plastic. It is easy to grasp and release. It is flexible without being overly so.

---

I also really like the 64 dome on the Mirus. The raised dome makes it leave my hand differently than some of my lower profile discs.

---

Now I just need to learn how to control it. I had some trouble figuring out where it was going to go, and, therefore, where I needed to aim it. Hopefully, my skill with it will increase over time.

No comments: