Tuesday, April 14, 2009

on THE TAPHANDLE

Anchor Steam Beer, a California Common/Steam Beer by Anchor Brewing Company

12 ounce bottle, served in lager glass, $2.24 per pint.

Anchor Steam pours a deep amber with a two finger thick white head. It leaves a fair amount of spotty lacing behind. No fancy lacing here; it is more of a workingman's lacing.

The aroma is of honey and light caramel, followed by some leafiness and brininess. The flavors from greatest to least are (1) salty, (2) earthiness, (3) lemon, and (4) light honey. The body is medium.

I kept drinking this and thinking it would probably be best accompanied with pimiento stuffed green olives. So I cracked open the jar, pulled out a few olives, and had them with the beer. I was right: this is the perfect beer to enjoy with green olives. In fact, I can't imagine not having green olives when I have this again!

No comments: