Monday, June 09, 2008

on THE TAPHANDLE

Gordon, an American Strong Ale by Oskar Blues Cajun Grill & Brewery

12 ounce can. Who knew that beer from a can could be so damn good?

The pour delivered a translucent copper-red body, an orange aura, and a thin white head. The lacing was good.

The nose was of caramel, graham cracker, orange, and a wee bit of alcohol. The flavor was of bitter orange, more orange than grapefruit. This was offset by light caramel, graham cracker, and an alcohol flavor that could almost convince me that Gordon was aged in oak casks. The alcohol bordered on lightly varnished wood, in a pleasing way. On the finish, there is a hint of sugary sweetness that reminds me of cotton candy. As Gordon warms, a faint grassiness emerges, both in the nose and in the palate.

The ale engages the entire mouth. In addition, the alcohol presence gave Gordon a minor "heat" that rests in the esophagus and upper stomach.

I liked this ale a lot. It was described as "a dry-hopped hybrid strong ale somewhere between a Double IPA and an Imperial Amber Ale," and I think this is an accurate assessment. I liked the complexity of aroma and flavor. I liked its assertiveness. I liked that it is named Gordon. I will be having this again.

I will, however, probably have to rethink my whole "better out of a bottle" philosophy. I expect some canned craft beer exploration is in order.

No comments: