Saturday, May 17, 2008

DEAR READER(S), or, COMING SOON


Dear readers, all three of you:

I apologize for the absence.
I promise to return in a couple of days.
I have been distracted by Books, Art, Beer,
and Wanderings all.
The summer-like weather
of mid-spring Pacific Northwest
has also kept me outside and away from the computer.
There are pieces to write
and pieces to post.

Also, a few changes to the site.

So, please be patient.

Soon and very soon,

Troy's Work Table.

---

BOOKS Coming soon:

*Book review of Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow.
*Additional conversations regarding William T. Vollmann's Riding Toward Everywhere.
*A reminiscence of reading Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck, spurred by Vollmann's book.
*A close reading of the opening sections of Suketu Mehta's Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found.

---

ART Coming soon:

*Review of the latest live show of A River & Sound Review, which took place on Thursday 15 May 2008 at Puyallup Public Library. (Can you say "conflict of interest"?)
*Rethinking Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park, after a second visit.

---

BEER Coming soon:
*A wonderful experience with Kasteel Rouge, a Flemish Ale and/or Fruit Beer, by Brouwerij Vanhonsebrouck.
*Drinking a Belgian White Ale at The Powerhouse.

---

WANDERINGS are wanderings. They may be coming soon. They may not. They wiggle where they will.

---

I picked up a CD from the musical guest at the most recent A River & Sound Review show. Patrick Bradshaw's Alice and Other Curiosities is "quiet" and enchanting. I keep listening to its twenty-three songs over and over and over. I especially like "Astronomers, final draft" (#1), "Concerning Emi Higuchi" (#6), "Softly cradled, dreaming in my arms (Nina's song #2)" (#16), and "Final thoughts on Alice Louise" (#23).

I have caught the child dancing to many of the songs throughout the past few days.

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

Hey, you didn't count me. :p

I picked up that same CD. I was at the first show (last year) where he performed and I fell in love with PB... well, as in love as I can be with someone while I'm married and PB is probably my daughter's age. Hahaha.