Tuesday, August 14, 2007

BEERVOLUTION

From Pacifico Clara, a Pale Lager by Grupo Modelo

to Chelada

to Michelada

I was really hoping for Negro Modelo, because it is a fairly good dark Mexican beer, but the shelf was empty when I arrived at the store. I was not going to try a Chelada with Corona or Caguama, so Pacifico Clara it was. I should have waited for another night.

Pacifico Clara poured a light buttery yellow, with little head, no lacing, but a lot of carbonation. It had a crisp nose that had a hint of buttered bread. The flavor was minimal. What I could detect tended toward light floral, a sort of not-really-present sweetness and cleanness. The problem with this beer is that it is as though it doesn't exist. I knew I was drinking a beer, but it could have been flavored water. Looking at it, it reminded me of sparkling wine, absent most of its flavor and aroma.

Pacifico Clara was then transformed into a Chelada. A glass with a salted rim was filled half-way with ice cubes. The juice of one freshly squeezed lime was added. Then the lager was added. The taste was much better than Miller Chill, which touts itself as "Chelada-style." If this is what Miller Chill aspires to be then it really missed the mark.

The lime and the salt complemented one another nicely. It think that this would have been much better with a more flavorful beer. I would drink it again, but it would definitely have to be a darker Mexican beer, such as Negro Modelo.

The Chelada was then transformed into a Michelada. This was done with the addition of a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some hot sauce. These two ingredients added a sourness and some heat. I will probably avoid Micheladas in the future. It wasn't bad, it was just too much.

No comments: