Friday, September 01, 2006

PICK OF THE WEEK



The Seattle Public Library's Central Library has to be one of the greatest places I have ever visited. It is architecturally interesting. It is colorful. It is playful.

I am still trying to process the experience.

I also know that I am going to have to return to explore some more.

In fact, one of the intriguing things for me was that people were just going about their everyday lives, doing what they normally do in a library: reading, researching, chatting, sleeping. I was the outsider. It was as though I had crossed the border into a foreign country where I don't know the language. I definitely looked the part of a tourist as well, with my two cameras and my waist pack, along with the wife and child in tow.

Rem Koolhaas created a wonderful design for the Central Library, and the Library has done a wonderful job of incorporating the work of other artists into the environment.

It's a good thing I have a couple more days of vacation to ponder what I saw and try to wrap my mind around it all. If you haven't visited this piece of living art and architecture then you need to get there as soon as you can. Maybe I will see you there.

No comments: