Sunday, September 17, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

2005 Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend Quadrupel by Brewery Ommegang

This was given to me as a gift after an extremely hectic week of preparation at work for our fall kickoff events. I had declared that "on Monday, after work, I am going to have a good beer and relax." A few days later, someone provided me a good beer with which to relax.

I am really beginning to appreciate Belgian ales, although I still feel myself to be such a beer novice. I am sure that I missed all kinds of flavors lurking just beneath the surface of this great brew. I also had it with homemade tacos, and probably should have waited for a different meal with which to drink it. Oh well...

This quadrupel had a wonderful dark brown color, a full head, and excellent lacing. The flavor was rich and malty with hints of caramel and cherry. It was also slightly more subtle than some of the other Belgian ales I have tried, which was a good thing.

I also experimented with the glassware I drank it from. The better flavor was in the pictured glass. It allowed for a fuller, richer flavor and really helped to accent the cherry. The second glass I used had a wider mouth and was shaped more like a bowl. It presented the alcohol more so than the first. I believe that I will stick with the first, pictured, glass for my next Three Philosophers experience.

No comments: