Saturday, September 16, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

This was almost pick of the week. I didn't have any of the Belgian ale that Fritz serves so I decided to wait to give it such honors. After the Aurora Valentinetti Puppet Museum, the child wandered around the Bremerton waterfront, which now includes the Bremerton Transportation Center, the Kitsap Conference Center, a hotel, restaurants, and retail shops, in addition to a docked Navy ship as a museum, the Washington State Ferries, passenger ferries to Port Orchard, and a fishing pier.

Just outside the Kitsap Conference Center, and next to a large fountain whose streams of water are choreographed to music, is the Fritz European Fry House. This very small restaurant specializes in Belgian fries and Belgian ales. The interior can seat eight people on bar stools. There is also exterior seating that could handle another twenty if the weather is good. The staff are friendly.

The child and I decided to share our meal. We ordered the special of the day—a chicken basket meal that included three pieces of chicken, a generous helping of Belgian fries, two choices of dipping sauce, and a small soda. I refrained from drinking any Belgian ale, since we were out wandering on foot and car. I will, however, be visiting Fritz again in the very near future.

The child and I initially ate outside next to the fountain, although the wind picked up and both of our jackets were in the car (my fault!). We moved inside and sat upon the two barstools in the front window. This was a great treat for the child, who thought it wonderful to be sitting on something taller than herself. The window seating also allowed us to continue to watch the fountain and various passersby.

The fries were the obvious highlight of the meal, along with the dipping sauces. I ordered the Honey Dijon sauce for the child and the Spicy Chili sauce for myself. Both sauces worked well with the fries and the chicken. The Spicy Chili sauce was too spicy for the child (she did try it) but just right for my taste. We had a great dining experience, and if you haven't picked up on it yet, I will be returning again very soon.

---

Three asides:

(1) My brother recommended that I eat at Fritz when I told him we would be down near Bremerton's waterfront. I scoffed at him. Now, I probably owe him a meal at Fritz as penance.

(2) The bar/counters have these interesting two inch holes drilled into them every eighteen inches or so. Most of the fries, except with some of the specials, are served in paper cones, and the holes are to hold your cone of fries in place so that you can have one hand on your ale and the other free to grab fries for dipping.

(3) These are probably the best fries I have had since the fries of my high school days at Elsie's in Silverdale. I will be returning for more!

No comments: