Sunday, March 22, 2020

JOKER



Tonight we watched Joker (2019), directed by Todd Phillips on DVD.

---

Timing is everything, as they say. I think I should have watched this before the world really started to unravel.

---

The colors in this film are so saturated. For some reason, I keep being reminded of the films of Todd Haynes. The two films couldn't be any more different in tone, but I keep conflating Far from Heaven (2002) with Joker, confusing Phillips for Haynes.

---

Another film I'm reminded of is The King of Comedy (1982) by Martin Scorsese. Arthur Fleck as an alternate universe version of Rupert Pupkin. It's as though elements of the backstories of both the Joker and the Batman were laid upon the framework of The King of Comedy.

---

I couldn't imagine that someone could play a crazier version of the Joker than Heath Ledger did in The Dark Knight (2008), but here we are.

---

Joaquin Phoenix's laughter throughout the film caused me to laugh, not because it was funny or infectious but because it was oftentimes so inappropriate and absurd and uncomfortable.

---

I actually felt a bit queasy at the conclusion of the film. It will definitely stay with me.



No comments: