Saturday, February 17, 2018

SHIPS on FIRE



"Trireme," sketch, by unknown artist.

---

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

the final words of Roy Batty to Rick Deckard in the film Blade Runner

---

As I've been reading Caroline Alexander's translation of The Iliad, I've posted a brief synopsis of each book I complete on Twitter. Here are my collected Twitter synopses of books thirteen through sixteen.

---

BOOK 13

Poseidon as Calchas rallies the Achaeans. Battle ranks. "They fought like blazing fire." Words of war abound.

---

BOOK 14

Odysseus rebukes Agamemnon. Hera tempts and tricks Zeus. Earth-Shaker turns the tide. Vaunting and death.

---

BOOK 15

Zeus speaks what will happen. Assignments for Iris, Apollo. Apollo and Hector lead. Fighting for the ships.

---

BOOK 16

Patroclus implores Achilles. Ships on fire. Patroclus dons Achilles' armor. Sarpedon dies. Patroclus dies.

No comments: