Tuesday, January 23, 2018

FANBOY



Over in the Twitterverse, I received an unsolicited tweet reply from Emily Wilson, whose translation of The Odyssey I just finished. Sometimes the internet can be a beautiful place. Not often, but just enough.



troysworktable @troysworktable
As I've been reading Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey, I've posted a brief synopsis of each book I complete on Twitter. Here are my collected Twitter synopses of books nineteen through twenty-four...

Emily Wilson @EmilyRCWilson
NB there are synopses in the actual book too.

[I love her nota bene.]

troysworktable @troysworktable
Now that I've finished the poem proper, I'll go back and read the synopses and notes. I wanted to see what 140 characters (or less) synopses of each book would entail (for me).



troysworktable @troysworktable
BTW, thank you so much for your translation. It is a splendid read. I loved the cadence and rhythm that you injected into the tale. A handful of times I checked your translation against Fagles just to see the differences. I prefer the directness of yours.

Emily Wilson @EmilyRCWilson
Fagles adds a lot!



[The literary "fanboy" in me swoons!]

No comments: