Friday, May 08, 2015

FROST PARK: CHALK of the GODS

For Frost Park Chalk Off 8:6, Troy's Work Table ended up with two pieces of chalk art.

---


"Saturn (after Goya)" by Troy's Work Table. Frost Park Chalk Off 8:6. Friday 08 May 2015.

---

The original plan was to draw a piece that was an homage to Saturn Devouring His Son by Goya, but I made a mistake in the place I chose to chalk. First, I chose a wall. I usually chalk on the sidewalk because I find it easier to chalk when I can move around my "canvas." Second, my chalk and charcoal wasn't sticking to the concrete as I had planned. My charcoal was breaking up and the colors weren't adhering the same way that they do on the "new concrete" sections of sidewalk I usually choose. So my homage isn't anywhere near as dark as Goya' piece. I ended up with a Fauvism-meets-Goya version of Saturn. I added some lollipop balloons and called it quits. It is really more rough sketch than finished piece in my mind. Oh well.

---


"Minotaur 4" by Troy's Work Table. Frost Park Chalk Off 8:6. Friday 08 May 2015.

---

My second piece was another quick chalk doodle, but this time on sidewalk. I initially was just drawing another bull head, but then decided to add the cartoon-outline body and it worked! He's as much Baal as he is Minotaur, so he can battle Saturn once the latter Titan is done chewing on one of his kids.

---

This section of sidewalk is one of the older concrete sections surrounding Frost Park, but I made due. I'm also pretty happy with this piece.

---

View more pictures of Frost Park Chalk Off 8:6 HERE.

No comments: