Friday, May 01, 2015

FROST PARK: CERBERUS


---

"Cerberus" by Troy's Work Table. Frost Park Chalk Off 8:5. Friday 01 May 2015.

---

Following on the heels of "The Mourning Athena" comes another mythological being, courtesy of the ancient Greeks.

---

Cerberus was inspired by a sketch of a dog by Vincent Van Gogh. I was rather impressed by his sketch, with the exception of the dog's muzzle. I felt it was either an afterthought or the muzzle of one dog pasted onto the body of another. So when I chalked Cerberus, I used my own dog's head as a model instead of that of Van Gogh's sketched dog. I like the structural composition of my dog better than Van Gogh's because of that bothersome muzzle.

---

A friend told me that he thought perhaps Van Gogh was playing around a bit, since the sketch has the feel of a cartoon. That may be, but it still bothers me.

---

Anyway, I added a couple of eyes to the torso of Cerberus, so my dog is just as problematic as that of Van Gogh! (Plus, there are a few other things that bother me about my own chalk sketch, but you'll have to find them on your own, since I'm not going to spill my dark secrets.)

---

View more pictures of "Cerberus" HERE.

1 comment:

Ada Ludenow said...

You may know that David and I are getting close to our 45th birthdays. This puts us in the Chinese Zodiac cycle as Dogs. Apt, I suppose considering the amount of snapping I do and my general mistrust of strangers. So Cerebus is one of my favorite images.

My own dachshund, Bertolt, is unfortunately a terrible model. For one reason, he is Uncooperative for such things on General Principles. Secondly, he is a lover and most of his barking is a frantic plea for attention. The little twerp.

But I love this image!