Wednesday, April 29, 2015

NAPOWRIMO #29: LATE APRIL, 2015

For 2015's National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo), Troy's Work Table is writing thirty poems in thirty days.

---

LATE APRIL, 2015

there are black boys being
beaten in Baltimore

against a backdrop
of burning buildings

and what am I doing?

am I standing alongside them
as a brother in arms?

am I standing alongside them
as a brother in Christ?

am I walking out into
the street of my own town

and weeping for them?

what good is a voice
if it isn’t used?

what good is a voice
if it isn’t heard?

what would Queequeg say?

what would Jesus do?

Who-e debel you?

Get behind me Satan!

can two men hug
in the street

wrapped in a counterpane
of Instagram posts

black and white
against a backdrop of color

hugged by the mother
of one or the other

wrapped in her yellow
jacket rather

than being beaten by her
before someone

throws the final punch?

---

Copyright © 2015 by Troy's Work Table.

No comments: