Friday, November 28, 2014

POMEGRANATE


"Pomegranate" by Troy's Work Table. Carport chalking for (Black) Friday 28 November 2014.

---

I had to do some design work on a worship folder for work. One of the texts used was Deuteronomy 8:7-18. I fell in love with the description of the land. I also wanted to avoid the traditional images of thanksgiving. There would be no feasting, no Pilgrims, no Native Americans, no turkeys, and no pumpkins. I chose the pomegranate from the list.

---

In the biblical passage, there was this wonderful land mentioned—a land of plenty and abundance.

For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land with flowing streams, with springs and underground waters welling up in valleys and hills, a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, a land where you may eat bread without scarcity, where you will lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron and from whose hills you may mine copper. You shall eat your fill and bless the Lord your God for the good land that he has given you. —Deuteronomy 8:7-10.

---

I chose the pomegranate because there were so many images and sculptures of it, and they crossed cultures and centuries. I ended up using many public domain pomegranate images from The Collection Online of The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

---

I chose the pomegranate because although it was an unfamiliar Thanksgiving food, it was on a list that demanded thanksgiving. I chose the pomegranate because of its gourd-like nature. I chose the pomegranate because each image felt somewhat similar to the others, yet most likewise differentiated themselves in some manner.

---

I chose the pomegranate because it is a likely candidate for the fruit that Eve plucks from the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden.

---

I chose the pomegranate because a few of it's seeds are the food that sustains Persephone in the underworld after Hades abducts her. They are a gift of nourishment as well as what will keep her in the underworld for a portion of each year.

---

I chose to chalk a pomegranate because it has been haunting my mind and my dreams for the past few days.

---

You can view more pictures of "Pomegranate" HERE.

No comments: