Friday, October 17, 2014

CARPORT CHALKING: SHE SLIPS IN


"She Slips In" by Troy's Work Table. Carport chalking. Friday 17 October 2014.

---

It was raining, so staying home to chalk seemed a good idea.

---

This is one of my favorite pieces of chalk art I've ever done.

---

I worked fast and loose, taking only about ten minutes to lay down the chalk.

---

The picture is based upon a series of poems that I am working on and needed to "get out of my system" in a medium other than writing.

---

There were remnants of chalk from another Carport Chalking piece that were hanging around, so I used them as a base. That worked well since some of the colors and form were already present. Most of "Cosmic" was covered up or blended in, but it formed a nice canvas to work upon—the "gesso," if you will, for this new piece.

---

I took a "selfie" of my eye and studied it for some time. Then, I set off with the chalk.

---

Once I had a base of purple for the iris and added brown and green to get the "hazel" color I was hoping for, I laid down a thick powder of charcoal for the pupil. The smooth texture of this "hole" was exactly what I was hoping for, even if I was initially unsure if it would work.

---

Building around the pupil and iris happened very quickly. A few black strands for the legs of She and her yellow eyes and it was done.

---

I was (and am) rather pleased with this piece and keep going back and looking at the photos of it. You can likewise view more photos of "She Slips In" HERE.

No comments: