Friday, May 11, 2012

H.P. LOVECRAFT'S WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

Frost Park Chalk Off 5:6 was somewhat without a theme, although someone suggested an homage to the recently departed Maurice Sendak.  I'm not sure why, but the Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos and their minions immediately came to mind.  I pictured Max running amidst and amongst them in his crown and furry white suit.


"H.P. Lovecraft's Where The Wild Things Are."


Wild Thing #1.


Wild Thing #2.


Max.


Wild Thing #3.


Wild Thing #4 (Cthulhu) and Wild Thing #5.

---

Random notes:

(1) Even though it doesn't look anything like the description, I imagine my Wild Thing #5 as one of the Mi-go fungi.

(2) One of the notable things for me in Maurice Sendak's illustrations for Where The Wild Things Are is the round yellow eyes of the Wild Things.  It was the one thing I wanted to make sure I conveyed in this piece.  If anything was homage, then it was the beastly, staring yellow eyes.

(3) The most enjoyable part of chalking Lovecraft's uglies is that they are amorphous and ill-defined.  It allows for a lot of interpretation and play, which is fine by me.

(4) This was my favorite piece of chalk art I've done to date.  It just felt good to draw.  I had no pencil sketch for this one.  I just let them roll out of my brain, down my arm, and through the chalk onto the wall.

No comments: