Sunday, April 29, 2012

SUNRISE OPA


Sunrise Oatmeal Pale Ale, an American Pale Ale by Fort George Brewery.

16 ounce can served in a shaker glass.

5.2% alcohol by volume.

---

The can looks like an energy drink.  The word SUNRISE makes me think morning.  I'm imagining some kind of dawn kick-in-the-butt to get me out of bed before I even open the can.

---

The pour is a hazy yellow-orange body that says, "Perhaps I'm a hefeweizen."  The head is a finger's worth of thickness.

The nose is orange citrus and flower petals.

The flavors are orange and lemon citrus bitterness, with a floral background.  It's bitter, but less so than I expected, which is likely due to the oatmeal included in the brewing process.

A smooth, medium mouthfeel transforms into a long, long bitter (yet pleasing) finish.

---

This is excellent.  If I had a stable of beers,* then this would be one of my anchor beers.  It's that good.

---

*I think I need to "build" a stable of good sessionable beers.

---

As to the idea of morning, I think this is one of those beers that transcends season and time of day.  I can imagine myself drinking it morning, noon, and night.  This is a sitting around with friends ale, a mowing the lawn ale, a accompanying dinner ale.  In other words, this is an anytime ale.

No comments: