Saturday, September 24, 2011

SAMUEL ADAMS OCTOBERFEST


Octoberfest, an Oktoberfest/Märzen by Samuel Adams.

Served on tap in a Samuel Adams Octoberfest dimpled mug.

---

I kept hearing good things about this seasonal offering from Samuel Adams, so I decided I would keep my eye open for it. I found it on a lunch outing with The Wife.

The generous dimpled mug arrived with a red-brown beer with two-fingers of ivory head. The nose was of a sweet dark bread. The flavors were primarily caramel and nuts, with a hint of the same sweet dark bread beneath. This is much sweeter than I expected, but the sweetness is just about right.

This is a beer that would easily complement sauerkraut and brats or a burger and fries. I had it with wild salmon and seafood chowder, which worked as well.

---

This is a great beer for someone new to the world of craft beer or trying to explore a transition from macrobrews to microbrews. Also, very sessionable.

No comments: