Friday, April 29, 2011

NAPOWRIMO #29: NEST

For 2011's National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo), Troy's Work Table is attempting to write thirty poems in thirty days without the help of writing prompts from other websites.

Many of these are still in some sort of draft stage, but that is the nature of the Work Table.

---

NEST

I am her child
and she my mother

although I wonder
why she never smothered

the life out of me
when I stared up with

near-stillborn eyes
and a crooked smile

pasted onto pencil-
thin lips

that sought the warmth
and milk of her

tiny breasts

we were mismatched
from the beginning

a flailing nestling
and a new parent

unsure of how to care
for this mewling thing

pink and hairless
and naked

with clutching paws
and sharp nails

and barely able
to contain the sustenance

that she provided

stench and attendant
dribbles from both ends

were my offerings to her
as she tried to clean up

and mask the smells
that poured forth

this is privilege and gift?
she wondered

as I rolled about
my hands and face seeking

her warm tender words
while cooing back in echo

---

Copyright © 2011 by Troy's Work Table

No comments: