Tuesday, March 29, 2011

LEGENDARY DOUGHNUTS

I was visiting with my neighbor, who also happens to be my barber, when the subject of doughnuts emerged. He acknowledged that our hometown doughnut shop, Happy Donut, is good, but that if I wanted an extra treat that I should make the trip to Auburn for some "fancy" doughnuts. I was intrigued. I needed a "wandering" for the weekend. Therefore, off to Legendary Doughnuts headed The Child and I.



Clockwise from upper left: (1) The Legendary Doughnuts sign; (2) the Fred Flintstone; (3) the Hot Cocoa; (4) the Steve Urkel.

---

The Legendary Hot Chocolate was simple and good. Steamed milk and Belgian chocolate made for a rich and enjoyable hot drink to accompany some sweet and fluffy fried dough.

---

The Fred Flintstone was the doughnut of choice for TWT. I saw the Fruity Pebbles on top and was instantly sold. The glaze and cereal made it taste as though I was eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles with chunks of doughnut floating in it. It was good but almost too much sugar. I believe I may have slipped into a sugar coma at some point. You'll have to ask The Child.

---

The Child selected the Steve Urkel, a glazed doughnut ring topped with Nerds candies. The Nerds were sparse but brought a welcomed sweet and sour mix to the doughnut. I thought it was the right amount of candy, but The Child thought them too hard and therefore in conflict with the tenderness of the dough. I don't know how it happened, but The Child ate the entire thing.

---

We brought The Wife home the Hot Cocoa. It was a good simulation of a cup of hot chocolate, with chocolate, whipped cream, marshmallows, cocoa powder, and a piece of chocolate bark on the very top. It was my favorite of the bunch. (Oh, but those seductive Fruity Pebbles...)

---

These are good doughnuts, but I still prefer the superb dough of local Happy Donut. During the week, I will stick close to home, enjoying what Legendary Doughnuts considers "amateur doughnuts" on their own display shelves (and what Happy Donut excels at). On a few Saturdays, though, I am going to enjoy the novelty of some "legendary doughnuts" and explore some of their other creations.

1 comment:

psbsabbatical said...

i am with you on the Happy Doughnuts. I haven't tasted the Legendary Doughnuts, but since we have moved north, Happy Doughnut is a sad absence for us.
PSB