Sunday, March 06, 2011

CROCKETT'S PUBLIC HOUSE


Clockwise from upper left: (1) The west exterior wall; (2) spicy chili and lemon Crockett's kettle corn; (3) Mexico City street tacos; (4) fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream.


---


My yelp review of Crockett's Public House:


3½ of 5 stars. We visited on the grand opening weekend.


As an appetizer, we ordered the Spicy Chili and Lemon Crockett's Kettle Corn. If I hadn't seen "spicy chili and lemon" listed on the menu, I wouldn't have been able to tell you it was present. My guess is that the popcorn was popped in chili oil and lemon juice, but it just wasn't present in the flavor. Somewhat disappointing as an appetizer. A healthy amount of popcorn, but not worth the three dollars.


I had the Mexico City Street Tacos which were spectacular. A grilled flour tortilla was filled with spiced chicken, pico de gallo, chipotle mayo, taco slaw, and cheddar cheese. It was topped with avocado and sour cream, which wasn't listed on the menu, and I could have done without, but was easily scraped off. I'll make sure to request them be kept off next time. Salted lime wedges accompanied each taco, to be squeezed over them. The tacos were sufficiently spicy and tasty.


The Wife had the mushroom ravioli with a side salad. She loved the ravioli. The Child had a mini burger and fries.


The fries for The Child and I were slightly overdone, but eatable.


I had a Diamond Knot IPA on tap, which I hadn't had before. It wasn't up to what I look for in an IPA, being nuttier in flavor than expected and lacking in bitterness, but that isn't Crockett's fault, just an observation.


The three of us shared the Fudge Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream. Chocolate overload and ice cream. Very good.


The service was excellent. Our server was attentive without being overly present.


The kitchen needs to work on its timing. It seemed that they weren't quite prepared to get food to tables in a timely fashion, but my guess is that was due to it being opening weekend and still trying to find their rhythm.


All in all, a good experience. We will be returning to try other dishes. I expect I will be adding a half or full star at that time when the kitchen works out its minor kinks.


---


The Diamond Knot IPA lacked any of the three base flavors I expect in an IPA, with at least one or more of the three present—those being orange, pine, or broth. There was nuttiness and a light bitterness, but nothing that I've come to expect in an IPA. It was drinkable, but I would rather have an IPA that I really enjoy.


---


No comments: