Wednesday, January 05, 2011

CHILI PEPPER


Last spring's vegetable garden never came to fruition. It was thwarted by a long spell of cold weather that arrived suddenly after the final frost should have been a memory. The dying vegetable garden was quickly commandeered and instead became a flower garden, but I did manage to keep a pepper plant alive in my office at work.

I toiled diligently to keep the plant healthy. It rewarded my attention and care and pollination of its flowers with a single green pepper. That pepper sat there green and awkward for a number of months, unwilling to mature and ripen. I left for a week of vacation and when I returned the pepper had turned a beautiful orange-red, waiting to be plucked and dried and used to season some as-yet-unknown entree.

The lesson: love and time and the right moment.

No comments: