Monday, September 27, 2010

MANTIS


One of my coworkers discovered a praying mantis outside our offices today. The conversation went something like this...

COWORKER: "Have you ever seen a praying mantis before?"

TWT: "Yeah. In Eastern Washington."

CW: "Have you ever seen one in Western Washington?"

TWT: "No. I don't think they live on this side of the mountains."

CW: "Well, I think there's one outside on the wall."

TWT: "Cool! I want to see it."

[TWT rushes outside like a ten-year-old boy, nearly knocking over Coworker.]

CW: "Right there."

[Coworker points out the insect.]

TWT: "That sure looks like a praying mantis."

[Both stand around staring at the mantis until the scene and the moment become awkward.]

CW: "Okay. I'm heading back inside."

TWT: "Me too."

[Coworker departs. TWT lingers.]

No comments: