Thursday, September 02, 2010

BLACK SWAN GREEN


I've been traipsing along through David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, a coming-of-age tale set in the year 1982 and the village Black Swan Green of Margaret Thatcher's Great Britain, while the Falklands War is raging. I find the socially awkward Jason Taylor, the literary kin of Christopher John Francis Boone in Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and Oskar Schell of in Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, to be someone that I would enjoy hanging around. His stammer, his navigation of his social/school milieu, his relationships with his parents and sister, and his strange partition of himself into various personalities that keep informing us of their presence (Hangman, Maggot, Unborn Twin) make him intriguing and compelling. I keep wanting to learn more about who he is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you need to let me read this. sounds good,

brian