Friday, August 20, 2010

ROAD TRIP 2010: DAY FOUR



DAY FOUR: Friday 20 August 2010.

This was the day that stirred the ten-year-old boy trapped within my being. All was dinosaurs again—Dinosaur Park and then the terrain that prehistoric creatures trodded upon and slithered across, The Badlands.

I ran to Tyrannosaurus Rex when we arrived at Dinosaur Park. I clambered onto the bony plate of Triceratops to ride him like the caveman that never could perform that actual feat. I was somewhere I had been decades prior, reverting to the person that had been in the same place then.

Then, it was off to Wall Drug and its blatant consumerism and its disappointment.

Then, it was off to The Badlands. In the middle of Buffalo Gap National Grassland are huge scars of sedimentary rock, the remnants of ancient seafloor that have been weathered and sculpted over the subsequent millennia. I imagined the strange beasts that swam in the warm seas that once ebbed and flowed here as I stared at the colored soils.

We drove through this desolate land, stopping at overlooks and viewpoints to marvel at creation imagined and experienced.

No comments: