Sunday, April 11, 2010

NAPOWRIMO #11



Read Write Poem NaPoWriMo Prompt #11 - The Thing You Didn't Choose

---

BONES

I dust off the old bones of my ancestors:
begin my archaeological dig
into the now chalky marrow

discovering itinerant preachers and soldiers,
vagabonds and alcoholics,
housewives and homesteaders.

These people are my people, supporting
me upon the framework
of their lives and lessons.

I write stories for my own children
and my children's children,
stuffing them into my skin

and sewing them in to nourish my own bones.

---

Dwelling on the things I didn't choose does nothing for me. That way of thinking only leads to regret and guilt. I am the person I am today because of the choices I made. I celebrate those choices rather than challenge them or denigrate them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the the spirit in which this was written. Very confident (defiant?) tone. Nicely done.

1965 Footprints said...

Like this a lot, especially the last two lines.

troysworktable said...

I think it felt defiant as I began to write it, and became more truthful for me as I worked on it.

Thank you to both of you for stopping by and reading.