Friday, September 18, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


My Mirus driver tries to hide behind a log on hole #4. It wouldn't be the first disc of mine this hole has tried to gobble up.

---

What is it about the sport of disc golf that calls me forth to wander the wooded fairways and throw plastic discs at chain baskets? I'm not quite sure. But its siren song is fairly significant, as today I find myself playing through a head cold and its accompanying body aches.

I feel terrible, and yet here I am. I throw and try to think my through the obstacles and problems of the course. I make mistakes. I make some nice recoveries. I have a couple of awesome throws.

By the end of the round, I am feeling better than when I started. By the time I return home, I am worse than when I began. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

---

I utilized information off of one of my disc golf round worksheets, which was especially helpful due to my thickness of thought. It took some of the guesswork out of the game. I played sixteen of the holes based on driver recommendations from other rounds on the same holes. On two holes, #10 and #14, I substituted different drivers, since it seemed appropriate at the time. All in all, considering how I was feeling, I didn't play too poorly.

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 3
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 4
Hole 5 - 4
Hole 6 - 5
Hole 7 - 3
Hole 8 - 4
Hole 9 - 2
Front nine - 31 (+4)

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 4
Hole 14 - 4
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 4
Hole 17 - 3
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 33 (+6)

Total - 64 (+10)

---

I had an awesome initial drive on hole #9. My Innova Champion Valkyrie (150 grams) curved to the left, just as I hoped, and skirted the trunks of many trees to land within five feet of the basket. A quick putt and I had my birdie for the day.

No comments: