Friday, August 21, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


The brother, the child, and I headed out to White River Disc Golf Course this morning to unwind and throw some plastic. My discs seemed to keep ending up standing upright. On hole number two, my Buzzz ESP wedged itself in a tangle of roots and moss, but I found it rather quickly.


Later, on hole twelve, an overly forceful sidearm hyzer throw sent my Mirus Gripline disc heading toward the White River. Two branches impeded its progress, leaving it standing up a mere seven feet from the river. It left a nice trail in the sand that showed its movement toward liberation before being abruptly halted.


The brother took a picture of Troy's Work Table during disc retrieval. This angle shows how close it was to taking a plunge. (Photograph by the brother.)


Even though Troy's Work Table worked the trees and brush pretty hard, the brother worked them harder. But he was able to throw through branches, shrubs, and tree screens to get to where he wanted to be. (And, no, he is not giving his brother the finger. He is winding back for a very effective hammer throw through the Douglas fir branches.)


Troy's Work Table created a disc golf round worksheet, in order to analyze each shot for each hole—what disc was thrown, how it performed, and, in some cases, what could have worked better. To someone else it may look like a bunch of symbols and scribbles, but to TWT it means another tool to help improve his game.

---

Putting practice earlier in the week, some good throws, and thinking things through helped to give me my best score to date—both at White River and on any course I've played.

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 4
Hole 5 - 3
Hole 6 - 3
Hole 7 - 3
Hole 8 - 4
Hole 9 - 3
Front nine - 30 (+3)

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 4
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 3
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 3
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 3
Back nine - 31 (+4)

Total - 61 (+7)

---

The brother was not far behind at 67 (+13). Considering this is his fourth or fifth time out, and on a course he never played, he was doing extremely well. I have my work cut out for me if I intend on staying ahead of him.

No comments: