Sunday, August 16, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


A new driver, just because—a Discraft Avenger SS maximum distance driver disc in Pro-D plastic. Opaque red with green foil stamp, 171 grams.

---

SS stands for Super Straight, and this disc does just that. It follows whatever line you give it. If you send it down the middle of the fairway, it stays in the middle of the fairway. If you release it too late and your hand is heading off to the right when you let go, the Avenger SS does the same, keeping a nice straight line to the right of your intended target.

---


The Avenger SS prepares to head down the fairway of hole #3 of White River DGC.

This was the first time that the Avenger SS was able to see some round play. Prior usage was all driver practice in an open field. I would have to say that I like how it handles quite a bit. I also like the feel of the Pro-D plastic. It is the equivalent of Innova's DX plastic, but has a much "friendlier" feel in the hand to me.

---

I was playing much looser than I expected and it helped to keep my game manageable, especially on the back nine.

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 4
Hole 5 - 5
Hole 6 - 4
Hole 7 - 3
Hole 8 - 4
Hole 9 - 4
Front nine - 34 (+7)

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 4
Hole 13 - 4
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 3
Hole 17 - 3
Hole 18 - 4
Back nine - 31 (+4)

Total - 65 (+11)

---

Hole #7 and hole #14 were almost birdies. Shot number two on hole #7 caught the rim of the basket and rode around it for a quarter of its circumference before falling out. Shot number two on hole #14 hit the basket just below the rim.

---

Practicing different types of drive shots a couple of nights prior really helped. I threw a perfect thumber over a screen of trees on my second throw on hole #16, which allowed the disc to drop right in front of the basket. I was very pleased to get par on a hole I usually struggle with, especially as I could hear and see the White River as it waited to gobble up my discs.

No comments: