Saturday, July 11, 2009

ZEN DISC GOLF



Clockwise from upper left: (1) Mirus; (2) Valkyrie; (3) D-3; (4) Buzzz

---

Empty course:
I arrive at 8:00 a.m. and I am alone. One bicyclist is placing her bike in the back of her pickup. Troy grabs his bag and heads toward the first tee.

Empty stomach:
I have skipped breakfast out of necessity. I needed to be here early. Troy closes his eyes and opens them again.

Empty arm:
My forearm is filled with pain. A brace is slid over it. Troy feels the pain move from arm into torso.

Empty mind:
I clear all thoughts. Clutter is swept away. Troy becomes tee and disc and basket.

Empty fairway:
I throw the plastic. It sings through the air. Troy watches as the disc goes where discs go.

Empty basket:
I putt. Disc dances into the basket. Troy plucks it from the chains.

---

White River Disc Golf Course, summer layout, red tees.

Hole 1 - 4
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 3
Hole 5 - 3
Hole 6 - 4
Hole 7 - 3
Hole 8 - 3
Hole 9 - 3
Front nine - 30 (+3)

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 4
Hole 12 - 3
Hole 13 - 4
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 5
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 3
Back nine - 33 (+6)

Total - 63 (+9)

This is my best game to date. The front nine is my best nine to date. I played with an arm brace. I began with difficulty walking. I ended with full mobility.

---

The Mirus was the star of the day. I have finally figured out how it wants to move. It's nature is different than many of my other discs. This doesn't make it difficult, only different. I utilized it quite often, especially on the first seven holes. It also played brilliantly on hole #12.

---

The D-3 played straight and true. It went where sent. It and the Mirus played the first seven holes together.

---

Hole #8 was the shift from white discs to yellow discs as the Valkyrie and Buzzz took over primary duties. They played the role of most favored discs with great humility and precision.

---

What is the sound of one chain "chinging"?

---


White River Disc Golf Course, hole #10: basket, trail, river, tree.

No comments: