Friday, July 24, 2009

WHITE RIVER DISC GOLF COURSE


A replacement golf disc for one gone missing—a Lightning Discs long-range driver disc. Opaque mottled orange and yellow with blue foil stamp, 172 grams.

---

I headed out today for my first full round of disc golf after rupturing a disc in my back. The ruptured disc actually blew out to the side opposite of the nerve that the previously bulging disc was impinging upon. So my recovery has been fairly quick. I still have some healing to do, but my physical therapist gave me her blessing on hitting the course again.

All I can say is that it was awesome to be back at White River on a Friday morning, walking the course and figuring out how to get discs from tee to basket while supposedly avoiding trees.

---


Preparing to tee off on hole #1. (Photograph by The Child.)

I had the best tee shot on hole #1 that I have ever had. I played my Mirus driver and it curved to the right exactly as I had planned. That set me up for an awesome approach shot and an easy putt.

---


Vandalism on hole #2.

I just don't understand why kids are coming in and destroying these hand-carved and hand-painted hole markers. They must feel really good about coming in and defacing great signage that was obviously a labor of love. I don't think any hole on the course now has one of these signs left intact.

---


Looking back toward the tee from the basket on hole #2.

The course is really green right now, although it was recently cleaned and had debris removed due to the recent White River Open tournament. All of that greenery and foliage means it is easier to lose discs, which is exactly what I did on hole #4. I threw my Lightning D-3 Prostyle driver and watched as it hit a tree, fell to the ground, and was swallowed up by shrubs. When I walked to where I thought it had landed, I couldn't find it. Ten minutes of searching didn't turn it up. Hopefully, someone else will find it and give me a call.

I loved my D-3 for dependable straight drives. I ran down to Mando's Discs after the round and picked up a Lightning #3 Flyer to take over empty slot #8 in my golf disc bag. I hope that it plays as straight as my D-3 did.

---

Today's round was played from the (shorter distance) red tee pads on the summer course layout. I played fairly well, although I tired out on the back nine.

Hole 1 - 3
Hole 2 - 4
Hole 3 - 3
Hole 4 - 4
Hole 5 - 4
Hole 6 - 4
Hole 7 - 3
Hole 8 - 3
Hole 9 - 3
Front nine - 31 (+4)

Hole 10 - 4
Hole 11 - 3
Hole 12 - 5
Hole 13 - 5
Hole 14 - 3
Hole 15 - 3
Hole 16 - 5
Hole 17 - 4
Hole 18 - 5
Back nine - 37 (+10)

Total - 68 (+14)

---

Lowlights of the day included:

*Playing the worst I ever have on hole #12 because I got stuck behind trees and didn't think through what I needed to do to get back into a good position. That meant three tree shots in a row. Ugh!

*Coming upon more vandalism to the course. Not only was a sign damaged, but someone dug up one of the posts that was sunk into the ground as tee pad marker.

*Losing my D-3 on hole #4, Swallower of Discs. (I have temporarily lost two other discs on that hole, only to have people behind me find them, call me, and give me the discs back a few holes later. I know other players who have also lost discs to #4.)

---

Highlights of the day included:

*Awesome playing on hole #1.

*Sticking the hill on the drive on hole #7, which meant that I skirted all of the trees. Playing down from the hill on the approach, also avoiding trees. Putting through branches on a somewhat long putt to sink the disc into the basket.

*Scoring a 5 on hole #13, considering its basket is in its longest possible position.

*Having my back loosen up after a few holes and having it feel really good for the entire round.

*Getting to pick up some new plastic.

No comments: