Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Belgica, a Belgian India Pale Ale by Great Divide Brewing Company

12 ounce bottle, served in tulip glass, $2.44 per pint.

Belgica poured as though a sparkling apple cider. The body's color was an intense light yellow that was filled with light yet lively streams of carbonation. The head was frothy and white, and one-and-one-half fingers thick. It lasted for quite some time, leaving behind excellent lacing as it the ale was consumed.

Aromas were layered with a moderate leather yeast at the forefront; followed by the sugary syrup of canned pears and a faint lemon/lime; before the background of coriander, ginger, and light honey finally appeared.

The flavor waffled between Belgian spice, similar to Duvel, and the bitterness of grapefruit, emanating from its IPA heritage. More often than not, it favored the Belgian end of things. However, just as that flavor profile would begin to settle down, then the IPA would make an encore appearance. I felt like the scientist in the scene in Altered States where he bangs himself against one wall and then another trying to "ground" himself in one identity as he involuntarily shift back and forth. (And here I thought the Great Divide was a place!)

Ultimately, the Belgian personality of the ale and the IPA personality of the ale clash with one another. I would have preferred that they played together better.

What I do know is that (1) the flavor is stronger than the nose; (2) the nose is more complex than the palate; and (3) something is slightly off here, although I am hard pressed to "put my finger on it." I like this ale, but not as much as I would if it had a single personality.

---

I am tempted to try it again for the purposes of reassessment, now that I have encountered the initial shock of Belgica's multiple personalities—Belgian, IPA, and combination.

---

On the bottle:
"Suggested food pairings: Thai curry mussels, crab cakes, roast turkey or pheasant, Taleggio or Époisses cheese."

I had it with pork ribs that I barbecued over charcoal grills and alder bark. It seemed to be a good match with the ribs, although I could definitely see it being a good match with roasted turkey or pheasant.

I just like the fact that Great Divide placed food pairing suggestions right on the bottle's label.

No comments: