Sunday, May 17, 2009

PARALLEL UNIVERSE PUYALLUP RIVERWALK TRAIL

Is there a parallel universe Puyallup Riverwalk Trail? If so, it may look something like the images below.

I walked back from Sumner along East Main Avenue, taking pictures of things that caught my eye. Some of these things I notice every time I drive along East Main


(1) The transition between worlds—Mt. Rainier/Tahoma.


(2) Virtual Police.


(3) I love the graphic layout of the front sign for Kibbey's Battery Service. I used to believe that the sign contained a misspelling of "batteries." Now, however, I am not so sure. "Batterys" may stand for BATTERY Service. It's unlikely but probable. (Still, let me have my small dream.)


(4) "Swim now... Pee later..." 'Nuff said.


(5) A field of dandelions gone to seed and waiting for a good swift wind.


(6) Another field of weeds, this one filled with yellow flowers that I am unable to identify.


(7) A stretch Hummer parked at Daffodil Bowl.


(8) Stacked concrete pipes behind chain link fencing.


(9) A 1947 Ford.

---

Even though there were plenty of things to fascinate and tantalize in this parallel universe, it was fraught with a greater portion of danger than our universe's version of the Riverwalk. This was mostly due to sidewalks that simply ended to be continued on the opposite shoulder of five lanes of speeding traffic with no crosswalks for approximately a mile of roadway.

Our universe's Riverwalk allows for the safety of travel on foot, with the added bonus of a perceived, if momentary, escape from the world of commerce, advertising, and automobiles.

Their universe's Riverwalk allows for a Chocolate Mousse Royale ice cream cone from Baskin & Robbins to be enjoyed on the way back home.

WINNER: parallel universe Riverwalk by a slim margin.

No comments: