Saturday, March 07, 2009

on THE TAPHANDLE

Liberty Ale, an American Pale Ale by Anchor Brewing Company

12 ounce bottle, served in lager glass, $2.24 per pint.

First of all, this is a beautiful ale. An extremely clear yellow body was capped by two-fingers-thick of foamy white head, which mostly hangs around. The head leaves behind sporadic bands of lacing. The body is filled with active streams of tiny bubbles.

But it's like the hot chick with the crappy personality. You don't really want to hang out with her; you just want to get into her pants. Once there, you realize the mistake you have made, and then its too late.

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't a horrible ale. It's not even bad. It's just kind of average. I can imagine a lot of other beers I would rather drink.

A few nice things about the nose and palate, though. The aroma is coriander and light floral. The flavor is floral and grassy, but not quite as bitter as I expected, which was a minor disappoinment. Light and tingly carbonation, from those aforementioned bubbles, leads into a light, crisp, and clean finish.

Would I have it again? Probably not, although I would take it over a macrobrew.

No comments: