Tuesday, January 27, 2009

on THE TAPHANDLE


Pipeline Porter, a Porter by Kona Brewing Company,
paired with Cahill's Porter Cheese

Pipeline Porter pours a dark brown that is almost black. The head is frothy, tan, and one finger thick. The thin aura is ruby red.

The aroma is first and foremost coffee. I also get a few whiffs of cream and chocolate.

The flavor is primarily strong coffee. In fact, if you like coffee then I have found your new breakfast beer. You can have it with your Vanilla Milkshake Pop-Tarts. Occasionally, I sense cream and chocolate in the flavor, similar to the nose, but I may be imagining them. There is also an undergirding of smokiness that I am not imagining; it appears on the finish and gives this porter its final punch to the palate.

I have seen a few complaints on RateBeer and BeerAdvocate that Pipeline is watery. I don't think that it is, especially if one can actually pretend that this a cold cup of coffee.

This is a good porter. If you are a fan of coffee, which I am not, then this will be extremely enjoyable.

---

Even though I don't drink coffee, and don't particularly care for it, I do like to chew on chocolate covered espresso beans. I can't explain the disconnect. I'm human. I'm allowed to embrace paradox on occasion.

---

Cahill's Porter Cheese is a "vintage Irish Cheddar with Porter." The sharpness and richness of cheddar is very noticeable. The porter is slightly more subtle, but present nonetheless. There is also a saltiness that lingers in the background.

It is slightly stinky like I would expect, but not strong or overpowering. I would describe its aroma as sweaty and earthy.

It's most striking feature is its appearance. It is wrapped in dark brown wax. The cheese itself is small chunks of yellowed ivory and tan that are woven together with dark brown threads.

I don't know what else to note about it other than I rather enjoyed it. I am fairly new to exploring beer and cheese pairings. That means that I have some homework to do and a new vocabulary to learn.

---

All of the above was enjoyed with the wife's goulash, which was spectacular. She noted on her recipe card from one of the previous times she made it that "Troy said, 'It's about time you made something good.'" I'm sure I said it in jest, but I assume I am in trouble anyway.

No comments: