Friday, June 20, 2008

on THE TAPHANDLE

Tecate, a Pale Lager by FEMSA

24 ounce can. I have had Tecate in the past, the very distant past. I knew that I was setting myself up for disappointment. But I broke one of my cardinal rules of beer drinking for another. I allowed "trying to drink native" to trump "don't drink crap beer if it is the only thing available."

I was visiting Eastern Washington, specifically Wapato, which lies on the outskirts of Yakima. I was hoping to find something from Snipes Mountain (Sunnyside) or Iron Horse (Ellensburg) in one of the two local grocery stores. My choices, however, were primarily between American macrobrews or Mexican macrobrews, especially since I was trying to avoid buying a six-pack. I merely wanted a single beer. (That was another error in judgment. I should have bought a six-pack of Negro Modelo and then everything would have been just fine.) I decided to indulge in a Mexican beer in camaraderie with the Yakima Valley's Hispanic population. I should have just had water with dinner.

The pour was champagne yellow with no head. Carbonation was light and lively. The nose was just a whiff of pine and spices. The taste delivered a mildly spicy bite with a faint buttery biscuit background. The palate was watery. It was a "better" version of Budweiser or Coors, but that is not saying much.

No comments: