Monday, April 28, 2008

READING ROUNDUP

Reading, reading, and more reading...


Poetry, March 2008
Another strange poem by Jorie Graham, three by Heather McHugh, and many more.

Poetry, April 2008
The Translation Issue. Some of my favorite writing is that of foreign writers translated into English. I don't know any of the source languages. I just like the idea that I have access to the works of authors from different countries and/or time periods. And, I have to trust that the translators are doing their jobs.


Two books that I recently completed, with reviews coming soon.

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow
Werewolf gang warfare in present day Los Angeles. The novel is written in free verse. If you can handle Beowulf, you can handle this. This was a quick, compelling read that grabbed me by the carotid artery and didn't let go.

Every Knee Shall Bow: The Truth and Tragedy of Ruby Ridge and the Randy Weaver Family by Jess Walter
An examination of what happens when two unflinching ideologies collide. Jess Walter was a reporter with a Spokane newspaper during the Ruby Ridge standoff. He delivers an evenhanded account of the tragedy, although the mistakes of government law enforcement agencies are rightfully exposed.


I am challenging myself somewhat with these two books. I am doing "close readings" of both—taking extensive notes, researching ideas surfaced during reading, reflecting on my own positions, and wandering off into books with similar themes and ideas during the readings.

The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton
The poetry of place. Being open to seeing things anew. Being aware of our surroundings. Why do we live where we live? Why do we live how we live?

Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found by Suketu Mehta
The perspective of living in the city of Bombay, as an Indian in exile, both in major cities and in the country of one's birth. Stellar writing from a Pulitzer Prize finalist.

No comments: