Wednesday, March 05, 2008

on THE TAPHANDLE

Big Beef Oatmeal Stout, a Sweet Stout by Hood Canal Brewery

On tap at Fritz European Fry House. I actually liked this stout quite a bit, even though it didn't really live up to my expectations when I order an oatmeal stout.

The appearance was good. The body color was black. The head was astonishingly white for a stout. The lacing was good.

The aroma was of oats, with some dark chocolate thrown in. Nothing spectacular there.

The palate was somewhat creamy and felt good in the mouth.

The best part, though, was the flavor. It was quirky and a little weird, but I liked it. The prominent flavor could best be described as a maple nurse log resting in a peat bog. That meant (1) some wet wood flavor, (2) the taste of moss, and (3) a hint of licorice fern. Perhaps that doesn't appeal to you, but it did to me. Then again, I am a native of the Pacific Northwest. As the ale warmed, a touch of molasses interjected and the dark chocolate bitterness increased.

Not a favorite of mine, but I would drink it again.

No comments: