Monday, October 01, 2007

on THE TAPHANDLE

Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale, a Spice/Herb/Vegetable Ale by Elysian Brewing Company

22 ounce bottle. The pour is a mostly opaque orange ale, with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is a rich earthiness bolstered by the smell of pumpkin flesh and whiffs of spices—perhaps cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

I drank this cold, fresh from the refirgerator. The flavors were from most to least intense: earthiness, pumpkin, dark green vegetation (spinach, collard greens), and light spices. Initially, the flavors didn't seem to work for me. However, I really enjoyed the mouthfeel. The ale sat heavy on my palate and tongue in a good, solid way.

As the ale warmed, more flavors became apparent and the previous flavors became more balanced. A touch of carmel was apparent, which worked well with the earthiness and pumpkin flavors. The spices, although still subtle, came to the forefront a little bit and worked very well with the flavor of the dark greens.

My previous experience with pumpkin ale has been Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, which I definitely enjoy, even though it is a little over-the-top in sweetness. Elysian Night Owl is even better, especially since it is more restrained and complex. I recommend it, but after warming for a few minutes, in order to fully appreciate its flavors.

No comments: