Monday, August 06, 2007

BAG OF on THE TAPHANDLE

Beer Chips

They intrigued me. I imagined a wonderful snack. They didn't quite deliver.

---

Beer Chips fail to excite. The concept is that they are potato chips that have been infused with the flavor of beer. The beer can be tasted. However, it competes with salt, sugar, and honey. The salt and sugar are in conflict with one another. The beer and the honey are in conflict with one another, and the honey is somewhat overpowering. The flavors never quite complement one another. What could have been a great snack is simply below average. Drink your favorite beer with a bag of regular potato chips. It will be a better experience.

---

Similar to my recent experience with Miller Chill, I fell prey to the power of marketing. These chips were in a shiny gold bag with the image of a yellow beer mug behind the "beer chips" lettering. The store I was in devoted an entire endcap, near the beer coolers, to this one item. All I saw were shiny gold bags, yellow beer mugs, and the word beer. Simple as that: sold! Even as my hands were placing the bag in my cart, my brain kept saying, "Wait a minute, beer chips?" But, at some point the questioning stopped and, next thing I know, I arrived home with my Beer Chips. Damn you, effective product placement!