Thursday, July 12, 2007

ROAST SQUIRREL




Yesterday, I arrived home from work to a yard filled with prostrate squirrels. The temperature reached a high of 97.5 degrees Fahrenheit at our house and the squirrels were feeling the heat.

Normally, the squirrels are my adversaries. They attempt to steal seed from my bird feeders. They attempt to tip over the bird bath. They tear vegetable starts out of my garden. They get into my home.

The above sight, however, was rather pathetic. A yard filled with lethargic and panting squirrels moved me to action. A garbage can lid, turned upside-down, became an impromptu watering trough. The squirrels were left to drink and bathe as the wife, the child, and I left for air-conditioned dining pleasure at The Powerhouse, rather than sit in the 90 degrees Fahrenheit of our home.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Way to go! I'm sure the squirrels will some how pay you for your kindness. :) Not quite 90 in our house here.. but i the mid 80's. Too warm for me also. Thank goodness it is over :).