Saturday, July 14, 2007

THE RAW SHARK TEXTS

I keep catching snippets and sound bites about The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. What I hear intrigues me. A man awakes without any idea of who he is or where he is. A note from the First Eric Sanderson to him refers him to a psychiatrist that he has apparently been seeing for quite some time for his dissociative amnesia disorder. This is his eleventh occurrence. In addition, he is being pursued by something that should not, could not, but does in fact, exist. And this something is trying to exterminate him. Or, is it that simple?

Therefore, I want this book. I need to read this book. Friday night was my opportunity. I had a bookstore gift card in hand. The wife and the child went to bed early. So, next thing I know, I am driving northward, Killing Joke's latest album, Hosannas from the Basements of Hell, blasting at "welding volume" (as per the instructions of Killing Joke frontman Jaz Coleman). The book is procured. I return home and begin to read.

---

The other thing that intrigued me is that when I called around to locate a copy of the book, everyone kept questioning the title I gave them. It was then that it dawned upon me that the title may be a play upon "Rorschach tests." I knew then that I really did need and want this book.

Further reports are to follow.

No comments: