Friday, September 01, 2006

on THE TAPHANDLE

Negra Modelo by Grupo Modelo.

We celebrated the wife's birthday at a Mexican restaurant. Now, when I eat at restaurants, I try to drink something that has the local flavor of the food in mind, or that will complement my meal. Negra Modelo was a good choice due to the fact that it is an imported Mexican beer. Grupo Modelo's website lists Negra Modelo as a "Munich-style" beer. I don't know what that means, but I do know that this was a good accompaniment for my enchiladas picadillo.

Negra Modelo is a dark beer, although one much sweeter and lighter than I am used to drinking. It was served to me in the bottle with a pint glass and slice of lime on the side. I poured my pint and took a brief sip. The beer had a translucent brown/amber color, formed a good head, but left little lacing. The flavor had a slight nutty tone that became more fruity the longer it was on my tongue. I eventually added the lime to the pint glass and the lime pulled out more of the fruitiness of the beer. I don't think I would actively seek this beer out, but I will have it the next time I am in a Mexican restaurant. Overall, it was an enjoyable drink.

1 comment:

troysworktable said...

Thank you to the Public Reader for correcting a mistake in this post!