Sunday, August 13, 2006

HEADSPACE

"Free my mind, levitate/Don't let any of those f***ers in my headspace."
—Velvet Revolver, "Headspace," Contraband

If only it were so easy.

The past few weeks have seen a lot of people trying to stake a claim to the real estate of my mind. This, in turn, affects my emotional life, my spirit, my body. Subsequently, the stress and drama have left my body open to attack. Here it comes: the summer cold.

I dislike the summer cold much more than colds or illnesses suffered through during fall, winter, or spring. The season of summer doesn't seem to fit with the sluggishness, lethargy, and dullness of the cold. The disparity intensifies the illness and its symptoms for me.

With the addition of my own proclivity toward depression, the combination of the stress, the sickness, and the drudgeries of quotidian life becomes overly taxing. The problem is my work place is my worship space, which only heightens the attendant difficulties of each. The problem is that the agenda of other people conflict with my own, be they those of the President, terror organizations, the State, national and local media, neighbors, friends, family, even the wife and child. (Now, mind you, I have, to one extent or another, let each into the realm of my mind; most with welcome arms. I just tire quickly when others try to get me to act out their own projected neuroses or psychoses. Those are the people that really need to back off right now.) The problem is that there is not enough time to address all of the problems.

And, it circles in upon itself. I need a brief moment of rest in the linear.

on THE TAPHANDLE
Wildcat India Pale Ale by Snoqualmie Falls Brewing Company
There are always the wonderful things that shine in the midst of the chaos and turmoil of life. Thank God for the wife's lemon chicken piccata. It made for a great dinner last night. It was accompanied by my new favorite IPA. Wildcat had a strong, hoppy nose. The head was thick and lingered around, leaving a nice lacing once it departed. It was richly honey colored. The taste was good and bitter, with a lot of fruity and floral tones. I highly recommend a pint or two of Wildcat IPA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain at times :)
I would highly recommend the book, "How Full Is Your Bucket?" By Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton. The book really gave me a different perspective on my interactions with my coworkers, friends, family, etc. They use a simple metaphor of a bucket and a dipper, but it makes perfect sense.