Monday, August 21, 2006

APOCALYPTIC DREAMS

"These are not joyful times. These are challenging times. These are difficult times."
—President George W. Bush, speaking about the War in Iraq during this morning's press conference regarding Israel's incursions into sovereign Lebanon

Can I fault someone else for their dreams? My dreams don't involve my finger resting on the nuclear trigger. My dreams don't command the world's most powerful army. My dreams don't believe that God is using me as the mouthpiece for his great plan or that Jesus and I are best friends that chat in the Rose Garden. John of Patmos had a vision of great turmoil and the second coming of Christ. It was a glimmer of hope in the midst of chaos. It was faithful. It stood in opposition to the powers that be. It wasn't the powers that be. Jesus stood in opposition to the powers that be. He was the powers that be and chose not to exercise any of his power. He emptied himself out. He obeyed his Father unto death. He suffered for his dreams.

Where are the prophets who will speak out against our current king, our current empire?

No comments: